You Blow it Up, You Clean it Up!

Even after they light up the night sky, fireworks remain potential sources of fire and worker injury. Improper disposal of fireworks puts waste and recycling workers at increased risk of injury from fires in their trucks and at transfer stations. Here are a few tips for proper disposal of fireworks:

USED fireworks:
All used fireworks should be treated as garbage and disposed of as follows:
*Put used fireworks in a bucket of water overnight. Remove them from the water and put them in a garbage bag and into your garbage can.
*Dump the water onto grass or dirt or other landscape where it won’t flow into a storm drain and into the river. DO NOT pour onto pavement or into the street.
*DO NOT put fireworks in your recycle bin. They will contaminate all of your other recyclable materials.
*A note on “duds”: If a firework fails to ignite, an adult should approach it carefully after at least 15 minutes, and place it in a bucket of water. After soaking overnight, remove it from the water and treat it as an UNUSED firework (see below).

UNUSED fireworks:
*DO NOT put in your garbage or recycling; they are explosives and can cause serious harm to workers and the environment.

Be neighborly, if you enjoyed the festivities with family or friends, offer to help in the clean up process. The festivities are fun and everyone enjoys them, but someone must do the cleanup over the following days, particularly before mowing. Remember, if you blow it up, clean it up!

Share this post

Tammy Teague

Tammy Teague

Education: 1995 MHS graduate; 1999 Arkansas Tech University Graduate - BA in Journalism. Career: Managing Editor - The Citizen; Copy Writer - Southwest Times Record; Editor - Resident Press. 20+ years experience in the news.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

scroll to top