Greenwood School District will implement mask requirements for the upcoming school year. This policy will require masks indoors when social distancing is not possible on school campuses or in school vehicles or school buses by students, staff, and visitors.
New quarantine guidelines released by the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education and the Department of Health on Tuesday, August 10th stated that if a person is COVID positive, those identified as close contacts would not have to quarantine if both the infected individual and the close contact were properly wearing masks.
In an effort to reduce quarantines and to ensure students remain in a positive learning environment on campus, the mask policy was approved.
The Board of Education voted that the mask policy would be in effect unless further legal action prohibits a mask policy or the ACHI data map shows the Greenwood School District in “green status”( indicating a low level of cases within our community).
Masks are required:
- In Classrooms and Hallways when social distancing (6 ft) is not possible
- While on a school bus
Masks are not required:
- When a student is outdoors
- In a classroom where social distancing is possible
- During meal time when students are eating or drinking
- During activities such as PE and recess
- When a teacher needs to see a student’s mouth – Ex. reading instruction
- If a student is exempt because of a medical reason