Nothing screams Americana like apple pie. But let’s be honest, it’s too hot to make them from scratch here on the eve of the end of summer. But with hints of fall in the air, why not try a three ingredient, simplified version that will satisfy your sweet tooth?
- Nonstick baking spray
- 2 packages refrigerated cinnamon rolls regular size, 16-18 oz each
- 21 ounce can apple pie filling
- ice cream or icing from cinnamon roll package optional for serving
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C.
- Spray a 12-cup standard muffin tin with nonstick baking spray.
- Open cinnamon rolls and flatten each one with a rolling pin (dust with flour if you find it too sticky.)
- Place the flattened cinnamon rolls into each muffin tin. Press gently into the muffin tin, and cut off extra around the edges.
- Fill each cup with apple pie filing. If your apple pieces are too big, make sure to cut them into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drizzle icing on top or serve with ice cream. (If you are not eating right away, wait until the pie cups cool before drizzling with icing.)
If using large size cinnamon rolls (Grands), you’ll need to cut the rolls to fit your muffin pan. You can use the leftover strips to make some extra cups.
You can prepare these apple pie cups the day before so they’re ready to go the next day!